Pet Dangers in Spring

As we head into spring, most pet owners are aware of the dangers of chocolate Easter eggs and the effects they can have on our furry friends. However, both in and outside the home, there are other things that pose a very real threat some of which we might not have even thought about.

Poisonous Flowers & Bulbs

As the weather changes and the days are longer and warmer, it’s the perfect time to spruce up the outside of our houses. Planning a garden full of flowers comes with its dangers for our pets, for example, tulip and daffodil bulbs are toxic and at the very least will cause vomiting and diarrhoea but may even lead to veterinary intervention. There are various plants and flowers that will also have an effect on our pets: Azaleas, Rhubarb leaves, Ivy to name but a few.

Bee and wasp stings for the most part won’t have too much effect on the animals other than some discomfort and possible swelling, however, if you suspect your pet has sustained a sting to the throat you must seek medical advice immediately as a swelling in the throat can close off the airways and be fatal.

Dangers in the home

Inside the home, cleaning products, paint and fabric softener are obvious things to keep our pets away from but there are also some more hidden threats that we might not have thought of. For example, ibuprofen is highly poisonous and should always be kept well away from our pets. Chocolate aside, there are also other foods that will impact our pets negatively. Grapes and raisins are completely toxic and when ingested lead to kidney failure.

What to look out for if you think your pet has been poisoned

Symptoms to look out for with our 4 legged friends and poison are, vomiting and diarrhoea, shaking or fitting, panting, blood from the nose and lethargy. If you suspect or are concerned at all about your pet, contact your vet straight away do not delay. The quicker the animals can get help the more chance they have of a full recovery. Most of the time, it’s a case of the vet administering a shot to make the animal sick and if needed an IV of fluids to rehydrate them. In more serious cases, it may be necessary to give the pet a blood transfusion.

Oralade, which replaces electrolytes and hydrates, is the perfect boost to aid the recovery of your pet.